This spinach artichoke bake is so versatile! It can be made 3 different ways, and each way is equally scrumptious! The sauce is so creamy, rich, and cheesy that I can guarantee your husband, kids, (and yourself) will be asking for seconds! And that means double the veggies for your loved ones! I made this for lunch one day and had it for my entire week, but it also freezes well if you can’t finish it all at once! Enjoy!ts
- 1 largeSpaghetti squash OR 12 ounce(s) high fiber pasta
- 1 largeOnion, finely chopped
- 2 tspgarlic, minced or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tspPepper
- 1 (10 oz) pkgFrozen cut leaf spinach
- 1 (13.5 oz) canArtichoke hearts, not drained
- 1/2 cupLow fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cupLow fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cupParmesan cheese, grated
- 3Egg whites (or 1 egg)
- 1/2 cupMozzarella cheese, shredded
- Optional:1 cup chicken, cooked and chopped
- Prepare the Spaghetti Squash: Prepare spaghetti squash by microwaving for 5-10 minutes, or until soft, (be sure to pierce with a knife before microwaving to release steam). Or bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or until squash is soft. Cut spaghetti squash in half, and discard seeds. Use a fork to gently scrape the “spaghetti” strands into the center of each half of the spaghetti squash, and set aside.
To Prepare the Pasta: Cook the pasta according to package directions until it is al dente or just tender and drain in a colander. Set aside.
(Important: be sure spaghetti squash/pasta is drained of excess liquid before adding to the rest of the ingredients, or your pasta bake will be watery.)
- To Make the Spinach Artichoke Sauce: Spray a large skillet and turn stovetop to medium heat. Add the onion, seasonings, spinach and artichokes (the water from the canned artichoke hearts will help cook everything, so don’t drain. If you accidentally did, just add 1/4 cup water to the pan). Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are tender and the water is cooked off from spinach (and it is completely thawed). Turn off heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the yogurt, cottage cheese, parmesan, and egg. Stir in the onion mixture. Add the spaghetti squash (or pasta) to the bowl and toss to combine. (Add chicken here if desired.) Pour pasta bake into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle mozzarella on top and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown on top. Enjoy!